Things to Bring

Documents to Bring to Your Interview

Personal Information

  • Your social security number or tax ID number
  • Your spouse’s full name and social security number or tax ID number
  • Amount of any alimony paid and ex-spouse’s full name and social security number
  • Your tax returns for the previous year. Your Tax Professional can check them for accuracy
  • Record of estimated tax payments made (federal and state)

Support others?

  • Dates of birth and social security numbers or tax ID numbers of your dependents
  • If you have kids under age 13 and pay for child care – Childcare records (tax ID number, address, phone number, and annual statement from the child care provider)
  • Income of other adults in your home (necessary for ACA and EITC purposes)

Earned investment income?

  • Interest, dividend income (1099-INT, 1099-OID, 1099-DIV)
  • Income from sales of stock or other property (1099-B, 1099-S) from your brokerage companies
  • Dates of acquisition and records of your cost or other basis in property you sold (if basis is not reported on 1099-B)
  • Expenses related to your investments (advisor fees, investment magazines and publications, etc.)

Work for somebody else?

  • Forms W-2
  • Unreimbursed employee expenses (continuing education classes, license renewals, etc.). Download spreadsheet here.

Work for yourself?

  • Forms 1099-MISC or 1099-K, Schedules K-1, income records to verify amounts not reported on 1099s
  • Completed spreadsheet for income and expenses for the year. Download spreadsheet here.
  • Hobby income and expenses

Received other income?

  • Unemployment, paid family leave, state tax refund (1099-G)
  • Gambling income (W-2G or records showing income, as well as expense records –gambling losses)
  • Amount of any alimony received
  • Jury duty records
  • Prizes and awards
  • Other 1099

Retired? Or working on it?

  • Pension/IRA/annuity income (1099-R)
  • Social security/RRB income (1099-SSA, RRB-1099)
  • Form 5498 showing IRA contributions
  • Traditional IRA basis

Going to college? Are the kids?

  • Forms 1098-T from educational institutions
  • Receipts that itemize qualified educational expenses
  • Records of any scholarships or fellowships you received
  • Form1098-E if you paid student loan interest
  • Student loan interest statement

Own the house you live in?

  • Forms 1098 or other mortgage interest statements
  • Ending principal balance owed on HELOC if over $100k
  • Real estate and personal property tax records
  • Receipts for energy-saving home improvements
  • If new purchase (congrats!), include a copy of your closing statement from escrow

Own rental property?

  • Records of income and expenses. Download spreadsheet here.
  • Rental asset information (cost, date placed in service, etc.) for depreciation
  • If new purchase – escrow closing statement

NEW: ObamaCare: tell us about your health care plan

  • Form 1095-A if you received a premium tax credit on the exchange
  • If your dependents file elsewhere, we need a copy of their tax returns as well to figure out “household income”
  • Health Savings Account and long-term care reimbursements (1099-SA or 1099-LTC), if applicable
  • Form 5498-SA showing HSA contributions
  • If you did not purchase your health insurance through the exchange, you will need to sign a statement for our records that you were covered under a qualified plan for at least 9 months of the year
  • Amounts paid for healthcare insurance and to doctors, dentists, hospitals
  • Amounts of miles driven for charitable or medical purposes

Other Deductions and Credits

  • Receipts for classroom expenses (for educators in grades K-12)
  • Record of moving expenses not reimbursed by employer
  • Invoice showing amount of vehicle sales tax paid
  • Cash amounts donated to houses of worship, schools, other charitable organizations
  • Records of non-cash charitable donations
  • Amount paid for preparation of last year’s tax return (if new client)
  • Employment-related expenses (dues, publications, tools, uniform cost and cleaning, travel)
  • Job-hunting expenses
  • DMV registration fees paid